Definitions of Statistics
- (noun) (singular) The scientific discipline that deals with the assemblage, organization, analysis, interpretation, and presentation of numerical data.
- (noun) (plural) The data produced from the scientific discipline of statistics.
- American English – /stuh-tIs-tiks/
- British English – /stuh-tIs-tiks/
International Phonetic Alphabet
- American English – /stəˈtɪstɪks/
- British English – /stəˈtɪstɪks/
- Plural: statistics
- A prediction made from statistical data is a statistical inference.
- Informally called stats.
- Historically called statistology.
- Statistics are useful in sociology and are often complemented with qualitative research.
- A (noun) statistician specializes in (adjective) statistical knowledge and interpreting statistics (adverb) statistically through (noun) statistical analysis.
- “Existing data sources for [secondary analysis] include public records, official reports of organizations or government agencies, and raw data collected by other researchers. For example, Durkheim used vital statistics (death) that were originally collected for other purposes to examine the relationship among variables such as age, marital status, and the circumstances surrounding a person’s suicide” (Kendall 2006:32–33).
- Quantitative Research Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Word origin of “statistics” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- control group
- dependent variable
- descriptive statistics
- independent variable
- inferential statistics
- negative correlation
- positive correlation
Kendall, Diana. 2006. Sociology in Our Times: The Essentials. 5th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “statistics.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved April 21, 2021 (https://sociologydictionary.org/statistics/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
statistics. (2014). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/statistics/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “statistics.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed April 21, 2021. https://sociologydictionary.org/statistics/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“statistics.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2014. Web. 21 Apr. 2021. <https://sociologydictionary.org/statistics/>.