This free open access online sociology dictionary was originally constructed using open source software and freely distributable source materials such as OpenStax, Wiktionary and Wordnet. The dictionary is primarily composed of original research from contributors and peer reviewers. Additionally, the dictionary has cited work from other author’s original work. These works are used in the dictionary under scholarly fair use. For more information, refer to the copyright page.
The OESD began part of a multi-semester Independent Study at the University of North Carolina at Asheville, under the tutelage of the Sociology and Anthropology department by Kenton Bell. The project continues with the assistance from the staff and students of the University of Wollongong.
Original definitions are primarily from:
- Princeton University. 2010. “About WordNet.” WordNet. (http://wordnet.princeton.edu/wordnet).
- Wiktionary. (N.d.) Retrieved October 29, 2011, from (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/dictionary).
The original set of “core terms” were based on meta-analysis of the following introductory Sociology texts:
- Brinkerhoff, D. B. 2008. Essentials of Sociology. 7th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
- Giddens, Anthony. 2009. Introduction to Sociology. 7th ed. New York: Norton.
- Henslin, James M. 2007. Sociology: A Down-to-Earth Approach. 8th ed. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
- Hughes, Michael and Carolyn J. Kroehler. 2008. Sociology: The Core. 8th ed. Boston: McGraw-Hill.
- Kendall, Diana. 2006. Sociology in Our Times: The Essentials. 5th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
- Kivisto, P. 2004. Key Ideas in Sociology. 2nd ed.Thousand Oaks, California: Pine Forge Press.
- Macionis, John. 2007. Sociology. 11th ed. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson/Prentice Hall.
- Newman, D. M. 2006. Sociology: Exploring the Architecture of Everyday Life. 6th ed. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.
- Schaefer, Richard T. 2008. Sociology. 11th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Thio, A. 2003. Sociology: A Brief Introduction. 5th ed. Boston: Allyn And Bacon.
- FreeDictionary.com. Dictionary, Encyclopedia and Thesaurus – The Free Dictionary. Retrieved October 29, 2011, from (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/).
- Memidex – free online dictionary/thesaurus and more. (N.d.). Memidex – free online dictionary/thesaurus and more. Retrieved October 29, 2011, from (http://www.memidex.com/).
- Wordnik: All the Words. (N.d.). Wordnik: All the Words. Retrieved October 29, 2011, from (http://www.wordnik.com/).
Comparison of definitions based on the following traditional and well respected Sociology dictionaries:
- Abercrombie, N. 2006. The Penguin Dictionary of Sociology. 5th ed. London: Penguin.
- Calhoun, Craig J., ed. 2002. Dictionary of the Social Sciences. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Jary, D., & Jary, J. 2000. Collins Dictionary, Sociology. 3rd ed. Glasgow, Scotland: HarperCollins.
- Johnson, A. G. 2002. The Blackwell Dictionary of Sociology. Malden, MA: Blackwell.
- Scott, J., & Marshall, G. 2005. A Dictionary of Sociology. 3rd ed. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Turner, B. S. 2006. The Cambridge Dictionary of Sociology. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Comparison of definitions based on the following general dictionaries:
- The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language. 5th ed. 2011. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
- Collins English Dictionary. 2009. London: Collins.