(noun) The process of separating a whole into its parts for discussion, interpretation, or study.
(noun) The result of analysis.
Audio Pronunciation: (a·nal·y·sis)
Download Audio Pronunciation: analysis.mp3
- Plural: analyses
- The basic level of analysis is the unit of analysis.
- A type of method.
- Analysis used in a sentence: We completed an analysis of Émile Durkheim’s (1858–1917) Suicide (1897) this week in class.
- An (noun) analyst or (noun) analyzer (adverb) analytically (verb) analyzes data that is (adjective) analyzable and has (noun) analyzability
- Qualitative Research Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Quantitative Research Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Word origin of “analysis” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- analysis – The Indiana Philosophy Ontology Project: inpho.cogs.indiana.edu
- analysis – Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy: plato.stanford.edu
Bruce, Steve, and Steven Yearley. 2006. The SAGE Dictionary of Sociology. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.
Macmillan. (N.d.) Macmillan Dictionary. (https://www.macmillandictionary.com/).
Merriam-Webster. (N.d.) Merriam-Webster Dictionary. (http://www.merriam-webster.com/).
Oxford University Press. (N.d.) Oxford Dictionaries. (https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/).
Random House Webster’s College Dictionary. 1997. New York: Random House.
Tischler, Henry L. 2011. Introduction to Sociology. 10th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wiktionary, The Free Dictionary. Wikimedia Foundation. (http://en.wiktionary.org).
How to Cite the Definition of Analysis
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “analysis.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved December 12, 2018 (https://sociologydictionary.org/analysis/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
analysis. (2014). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/analysis/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “analysis.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed December 12, 2018. https://sociologydictionary.org/analysis/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“analysis.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2014. Web. 12 Dec. 2018. <https://sociologydictionary.org/analysis/>.