Definition of Analysis
(noun) The process of separating a whole into its parts for discussion, interpretation, or study.
Types of Analysis
- content analysis
- cross-sectional analysis
- data analysis
- secondary analysis
- social network analysis
- statistical analysis
- American English – /uh-nAl-uh-sis/
- British English – /uh-nAl-i-sis/
International Phonetic Alphabet
- American English – /əˈnæləsəs/
- British English – /əˈnalᵻsɪs/
- Plural: analyses
- The unit of analysis is the basic element of research.
- A type of method.
- An (noun) analyst or (noun) analyzer (adverb) analytically (verb) analyzes data that is (adjective) analyzable and has (noun) analyzability.
- Qualitative Research Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Quantitative Research Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Word origin of “analysis” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- analysis – The Indiana Philosophy Ontology Project: inpho.cogs.indiana.edu
- analysis – Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy: plato.stanford.edu
Oxford University Press. (N.d.) Oxford Dictionaries. (https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/).
Random House Webster’s College Dictionary. 1997. New York: Random House.
Tischler, Henry L. 2011. Introduction to Sociology. 10th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wiktionary, The Free Dictionary. Wikimedia Foundation. (http://en.wiktionary.org).
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “analysis.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved October 23, 2021 (https://sociologydictionary.org/analysis/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
analysis. (2014). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/analysis/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “analysis.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed October 23, 2021. https://sociologydictionary.org/analysis/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“analysis.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2014. Web. 23 Oct. 2021. <https://sociologydictionary.org/analysis/>.