Definitions of Public
- (noun) A group that shares a common idea, interest or ideology.
- (noun) The group affected by a policy.
- (noun) A community or people in general.
- (adjective) Concerning or relating to people considered as whole.
- (adjective) Accessible and open to all people.
Examples of Public
- Definition 1:
- The viewing public in relation to television watching.
- Definition 2:
- Students that must pay a tuition increase.
- Definition 3:
- The residents of a city.
- Definition 4:
- public at large
- public good
- Definition 5:
- public forum
- public gardens
International Phonetic Alphabet
- American English – /ˈpəblɪk/
- British English – /ˈpʌblɪk/
- Plural: publics
- Crime and Law Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Politics and Policy Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Word origin of “public” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
Griffiths, Heather, Nathan Keirns, Eric Strayer, Susan Cody-Rydzewski, Gail Scaramuzzo, Tommy Sadler, Sally Vyain, Jeff Bry, Faye Jones. 2016. Introduction to Sociology 2e. Houston, TX: OpenStax.
Henslin, James M. 2012. Sociology: A Down-to-Earth Approach. 10th ed. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
Merriam-Webster. (N.d.) Merriam-Webster Dictionary. (http://www.merriam-webster.com/).
Oxford University Press. (N.d.) Oxford Dictionaries. (https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/).
Ravelli, Bruce, and Michelle Webber. 2016. Exploring Sociology: A Canadian Perspective. 3rd ed. Toronto: Pearson.
Tischler, Henry L. 2011. Introduction to Sociology. 10th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “public.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved January 27, 2020 (https://sociologydictionary.org/public/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
public. (2013). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/public/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “public.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed January 27, 2020. https://sociologydictionary.org/public/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“public.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2013. Web. 27 Jan. 2020. <https://sociologydictionary.org/public/>.