Example: An elderly parent is taken care of by their child or a student starts to teach classes.
Audio Pronunciation: (role re·ver·sal)
Download Audio Pronunciation: role reversal.mp3
- Plural: role reversals
- The terms role reversal and social role reversal are used interchangeably in a sociological context.
- Variant form: role-reversal
- Role reversal used in a sentence: I enjoyed the role reversal when my teacher let me teach class for a day.
- Role Theory Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Word origin of “role” and “reversal” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- role conflict
- role distancing
- role expectation
- role performance
- role segregation
- role set
- role strain
- role taking
- role theory
How to Cite the Definition of Role Reversal
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “role reversal.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved December 14, 2018 (https://sociologydictionary.org/role-reversal/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
role reversal. (2014). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/role-reversal/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “role reversal.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed December 14, 2018. https://sociologydictionary.org/role-reversal/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“role reversal.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2014. Web. 14 Dec. 2018. <https://sociologydictionary.org/role-reversal/>.