Definition of Role Expectation
Example of Role Expectation
- A university student is expected to complete assignments on time and come to class prepared.
Role Expectation Pronunciation
- IPA Pronunciation
- Syllabification: (role ex·pec·ta·tion)
- Plural: role expectations
- The terms “role expectation” and “social role expectation” are used interchangeably in a sociological context.
- Role expectation is contrasted to role performance.
- Variant spelling: role-expectation
- “In American society, the basic kinship system consists of parents and children, but it may include other relatives as well, especially grandparents. Each person in this system has certain rights and obligations as a result of his or her position in the family structure. Furthermore, a person may occupy several positions at the same time. For example, an 18-year-old woman may simultaneously be a daughter, a sister, a cousin, an aunt, and a granddaughter. Each role entails different rights and obligations. As a daughter, the young woman may have to defer to certain decisions of her parents; as a sister, to share her bedroom; as a cousin, to attend a wedding; and as a granddaughter, to visit her grandparents during the holidays” (Strong, Devault, and Cohen 2011:19).
- Role Theory Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Word origin of “role” and “expectation” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
Strong, Bryan, Christine DeVault, and Theodore F. Cohen. 2011. The Marriage and Family Experience: Intimate Relationships in a Changing Society. 11th ed. Boston: Cengage Learning.
Ferrante, Joan. 2011. Seeing Sociology: An Introduction. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Kendall, Diana. 2011. Sociology in Our Times. 8th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Kornblum, William. 2008. Sociology in a Changing World. 8th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Oxford University Press. (N.d.) Oxford Dictionaries. (https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/).
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “role expectation.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved August 24, 2019 (https://sociologydictionary.org/role-expectation/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
role expectation. (2013). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/role-expectation/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “role expectation.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed August 24, 2019. https://sociologydictionary.org/role-expectation/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“role expectation.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2013. Web. 24 Aug. 2019. <https://sociologydictionary.org/role-expectation/>.