Definition of Role Performance
Example of Role Performance
- A student is expected to come to class on time and be prepared for each lesson, but the student fails to attend regularly and is poorly prepared for each lesson.
Role Performance Pronunciation
Syllabification: role per·for·mance
- American English – /rOHl puhr-fOR-muhns/
- British English – /rOHl puh-fAWm-uhns/
International Phonetic Alphabet
- American English – /roʊl pərˈfɔrməns/
- British English – /rəʊl pəˈfɔːməns/
- Plural: role performances
- The terms “role performance” and “social role performance” are used interchangeably in a sociological context.
- Role performance is contrasted to role expectation.
- Variant spelling: role-performance
- Role Theory Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Word origin of “role” and “performance” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- role conflict
- role distancing
- role expectation
- role reversal
- role taking
- role theory
Ferrante, Joan. 2011. Seeing Sociology: An Introduction. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Griffiths, Heather, Nathan Keirns, Eric Strayer, Susan Cody-Rydzewski, Gail Scaramuzzo, Tommy Sadler, Sally Vyain, Jeff Bry, Faye Jones. 2016. Introduction to Sociology 2e. Houston, TX: OpenStax.
Henslin, James M. 2012. Sociology: A Down-to-Earth Approach. 10th ed. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
Hughes, Michael, and Carolyn J. Kroehler. 2011. Sociology: The Core. 10th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill.
Kendall, Diana. 2011. Sociology in Our Times. 8th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Kimmel, Michael S., and Amy Aronson. 2012. Sociology Now. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
Oxford University Press. (N.d.) Oxford Dictionaries. (https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/).
Shepard, Jon M. 2010. Sociology. 11th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Shepard, Jon M., and Robert W. Greene. 2003. Sociology and You. New York: Glencoe.
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Wikimedia Foundation. (https://en.wikipedia.org/).
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “role performance.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved August 11, 2020 (https://sociologydictionary.org/role-performance/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
role performance. (2013). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/role-performance/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “role performance.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed August 11, 2020. https://sociologydictionary.org/role-performance/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“role performance.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2013. Web. 11 Aug. 2020. <https://sociologydictionary.org/role-performance/>.