Definition of Singular They
Singular They Pronunciation
Syllabification: sin·gu·lar they
- American English – /sIng-gyuh-luhr THAY/
- British English – /sIng-gyu-luh THAY/
International Phonetic Alphabet
- American English – /ˈsɪŋgjələr ðeɪ/
- British English – /ˈsɪŋgjʊlə ðeɪ/
- Singular they is used where possible throughout the dictionary and other neutral terms such as partner.
- Their, them, and they can all be used as a singular they.
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2015. “singular they.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved August 7, 2020 (https://sociologydictionary.org/singular-they/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
singular they. (2015). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/singular-they/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2015. “singular they.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed August 7, 2020. https://sociologydictionary.org/singular-they/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“singular they.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2015. Web. 7 Aug. 2020. <https://sociologydictionary.org/singular-they/>.