Definitions of People
- (noun) The collective term for human beings.
- (noun) A specific group of human beings.
Example of People
- The people of the United States.
- American English – /pEE-puhl/
- British English – /pEE-puhl/
International Phonetic Alphabet
- American English – /ˈpip(ə)l/
- British English – /ˈpiːpl/
- Plural: peoples
- The term “people” is plural, but can also be pluralized as peoples, for example “all the peoples of the world must come together to stop climate change”.
- “[Culture is] a ‘tool kit’ of symbols, stories, rituals, and world-views, which people may use in varying configurations to solve different kinds of problems” (Swidler 1986:273).
- “[R]esearchers frequently select a representative sample (a small group of respondents) from a larger population (the total group of people) to answer questions about their attitudes, opinions, or behavior” (Kendall 2006:31).
- “Whereas a society is composed of people, a culture is composed of ideas, behavior, and material possessions. Society and culture are interdependent; neither could exist without the other” (Kendall 2006:42).
- Word origin of “people” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- Homans, George Caspar. 1950. The Human Group. New York: Harcourt, Brace.
Kendall, Diana. 2006. Sociology in Our Times: The Essentials. 5th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Swidler, Ann. 1986. “Culture in Action: Symbols and Strategies.” American Sociological Review 51(2):273–86. doi:10.2307/2095521.
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “people.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved July 28, 2021 (https://sociologydictionary.org/people/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
people. (2013). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/people/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “people.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed July 28, 2021. https://sociologydictionary.org/people/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“people.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2013. Web. 28 Jul. 2021. <https://sociologydictionary.org/people/>.