Definition of Role Distancing
Examples of Role Distancing
- When an employee must fire fellow employees and says “I am just doing my job.”
- A server in a restaurant will remind customers that they are not only a server but also an artist or student.
Role Distancing Pronunciation
Syllabification: role dis·tanc·ing
- American English – /rOHl dIs-tuhn-sing/
- British English – /rOHl dIs-tuhn-sing/
International Phonetic Alphabet
- American English – /roʊl ˈdɪstənsɪŋ/
- British English – /rəʊl ˈdɪstənsɪŋ/
- Plural: role distancings
- The terms “role distancing” and “social role distancing” are used interchangeably in a sociological context.
- Role distancing decreases role strain.
- A type of impression management.
- Variant spelling: role-distancing
- “People use distancing techniques when they do not want others to take them as the ‘self’ implied in a particular role, especially if they think the role is ‘beneath them'” (Kendall 2006:119).
- Role Theory Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Word origin of “role” and “distance” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- role expectation
- role performance
- role reversal
- role segregation
- role set
- role strain
- role taking
- role theory
Kendall, Diana. 2006. Sociology in Our Times: The Essentials. 5th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Brym, Robert J., and John Lie. 2007. Sociology: Your Compass for a New World. 3rd ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Oxford University Press. (N.d.) Oxford Dictionaries. (https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/).
Thompson, William E., and Joseph V. Hickey. 2012. Society in Focus: An Introduction to Sociology. 7th ed. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
Turner, Bryan S., ed. 2006. The Cambridge Dictionary of Sociology. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “role distancing.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved May 21, 2022 (https://sociologydictionary.org/role-distancing/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
role distancing. (2013). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/role-distancing/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “role distancing.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed May 21, 2022. https://sociologydictionary.org/role-distancing/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“role distancing.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2013. Web. 21 May. 2022. <https://sociologydictionary.org/role-distancing/>.