Definition of Uncle
Example of Uncle
- American English – /UHng-kuhl/
- British English – /UHng-kuhl/
International Phonetic Alphabet
- American English – /ˈəŋkəl/
- British English – /ˈʌŋkl/
- Plural: uncles
- A greatuncle (great-uncle) or granduncle (grand-uncle) is the uncle of an individual’s parent.
- An uncle-in-law is an uncle by marriage (affinity) instead of blood (consanguinity).
- A maternal uncle is mother’s brother and a paternal uncle is a father’s brother.
- An uncle’s sibling’s child is either a nephew if male or a niece if female.
- The female equivalent of an uncle is an aunt.
- The term (adjective) avuncular means relating to an uncle and an uncle exhibits (noun) unclehood.
- “Families of orientation, procreation, and cohabitation provide us with some of the most important roles we will assume in life. The nuclear family roles (such as parent, child, husband, wife, and sibling) combine with extended family roles (such as grandparent, aunt, uncle, cousin, and in-law) to form the kinship system” (Strong, Devault, and Cohen 2011:19).
- Family and Kinship Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Word origin of “uncle” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
Strong, Bryan, Christine DeVault, and Theodore F. Cohen. 2011. The Marriage and Family Experience: Intimate Relationships in a Changing Society. 11th ed. Boston: Cengage Learning.
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “uncle.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved January 22, 2021 (https://sociologydictionary.org/uncle/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
uncle. (2014). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/uncle/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “uncle.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed January 22, 2021. https://sociologydictionary.org/uncle/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“uncle.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2014. Web. 22 Jan. 2021. <https://sociologydictionary.org/uncle/>.