Example: Quinn grew up living in the United States with both biological (consanguineal) parents and a brother and Harley was raised by adoptive parents in Australia but was born in Taiwan and had no siblings. The biological parents and brother of Quinn and the adoptive parents of Harley are their families of orientation.
Audio Pronunciation: (fam·i·ly of o·ri·en·ta·tion)
Download Audio Pronunciation: family of orientation.mp3
- Plural: families of orientation
- An individual’s family of orientation is one of the primary agents of socialization.
- In contrast family of orientation, family of procreation is the family formed through marriage, consisting of spouses and children.
- Also called family of origin.
- Family of orientation used in a sentence: Sam’s family of orientation enjoys skiing.