Definition of Typology
(noun) A classification system that divides something (e.g., people, places, things) into general groups.
Examples of Typology
- crime types
- descent types
- determinism types
- marriage types
- poverty types
- sociology types
- reductionism types
- American English – /tie-pAHl-uh-jee/
- British English – /tie-pOl-uh-jee/
International Phonetic Alphabet
- American English – /taɪˈpɑlədʒi/
- British English – /tʌɪˈpɒlədʒi/
- Plural: typologies
- Typologies are common in the sciences as it helps with data collection and analysis.
- Also called typificatory scheme.
- A (noun) typologist (adverb) typologically creates (adjective) typological and (adjective) typologic groups.
- Qualitative Research Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Quantitative Research Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Word origin of “typology” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
Ferrante, Joan. 2011. Seeing Sociology: An Introduction. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Kendall, Diana. 2011. Sociology in Our Times. 8th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Taylor & Francis. (N.d.) Routledge Handbooks Online. (https://www.routledgehandbooks.com/).
Turner, Bryan S., ed. 2006. The Cambridge Dictionary of Sociology. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Wikimedia Foundation. (https://en.wikipedia.org/).
Wiley. (N.d.) Wiley Online Library. (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/).
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “typology.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved October 23, 2021 (https://sociologydictionary.org/typology/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
typology. (2014). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/typology/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “typology.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed October 23, 2021. https://sociologydictionary.org/typology/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“typology.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2014. Web. 23 Oct. 2021. <https://sociologydictionary.org/typology/>.