1. (noun) Who or what is being studied during research.
2. (noun) The basic element of research.
Audio Pronunciation: (u·nit of a·nal·y·sis)
Download Audio Pronunciation: unit of analysis.mp3
- Plural: units of analysis
- Almost anything can be a unit of analysis sociology typically focuses on the behaviors, norms, and values of individuals and groups.
- A study can have more than one unit of analysis. For example if you want to know which university degree provides the highest income potential but also want to know which school’s specific depart provides the highest income potential you have two units of analysis: students and universities.
- Not to be confused with a unit of observation which is what research data describes. Using the example above, in the United States census the individual is the unit of analysis but the entire country is the unit of observation.
- Units of Analysis – Ashley Crossman: About.com
- Quantitative Research Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Word origin of “unit” and “analysis” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- qualitative research
- quantitative research
- statistical analysis
How to Cite the Definition of Unit of Analysis
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “unit of analysis.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved January 23, 2019 (http://sociologydictionary.org/unit-of-analysis/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
unit of analysis. (2014). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from http://sociologydictionary.org/unit-of-analysis/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “unit of analysis.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed January 23, 2019. http://sociologydictionary.org/unit-of-analysis/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“unit of analysis.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2014. Web. 23 Jan. 2019. <http://sociologydictionary.org/unit-of-analysis/>.