Example: When an employee must fire fellow employees and says “I am just doing my job” or a server in a restaurant will remind customers that they are not only a server but also a student or artist.
Audio Pronunciation: (role dis·tanc·ing)
Download Audio Pronunciation: role distancing.mp3
- Plural: role distancings
- The terms role distancing and social role distancing are used interchangeably in a sociological context.
- Role distancing decreases role strain.
- A type of impression management.
- Variant form: role-distancing
- Role distancing used in a sentence: I practiced role distancing while I was working a dead end job.
- “People use distancing techniques when they do not want others to take them as the ‘self’ implied in a particular role, especially if they think the role is ‘beneath them'” (Kendall 2006:119).
- Basow, Susan A. 1992. Gender: Stereotypes and Roles. Pacific Grove, CA: Brooks/Cole Publishing Company.
- Biddle, Bruce J. 1979. Role Theory: Expectations, Identities, and Behaviors. New York: Academic Press.
- Goffman, Erving. 1961. Encounters: Two Studies in the Sociology of Interaction. Indianapolis, Indiana: Bobbs-Merrill.
- Linton, Ralph. 1936. The Study of Man: An Introduction. New York: Appleton-Century-Crofts.
- Mead, George Herbert, and Charles W. Morris. 1934. Mind, Self & Society from the Standpoint of a Social Behaviorist. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press.
- role conflict
- role exit
- role expectation
- role performance
- role reversal
- role segregation
- role set
- role strain
- role taking
- role theory
Kendall, Diane. 2006. Sociology in Our Times: The Essentials. 5th ed. Belmont, CA: Thomson/Wadsworth.