Definition of Natural History Study
Example of Natural History Study
- A study following ten individuals with a chronic disease from the onset to track the changes and challenges the individuals faced.
Natural History Study Pronunciation
Syllabification: nat·u·ral his·to·ry stud·y
- American English – /nAch-uhr-ruhl hIs-tuhr-ree stUHd-ee/
- British English – /nAch-uh-ruhl hIs-tuh-ree stUHd-ee/
International Phonetic Alphabet
- American English – /ˈnæʧərəl ˈhɪstəri ˈstʌdi/
- British English – /ˈnæʧrəl ˈhɪstəri ˈstʌdi/
- Plural: natural history studies
- Natural history studies are used in epidemiology.
- “If, instead of seeing suicides only as isolated, individual events that need to be examined separately, one considers all suicides committed in a particular society during a specific time period as a whole, it is evident that the total thus obtained is not simply a sum of independent units, a collective total, but constitutes in itself a new fact sui generis, which has its own unity and individuality, and therefore, its own pre-eminently social nature” (Durkheim  2004:68).
- Quantitative Research Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Word origin of “natural” and “history” and “study” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- control group
- experimental group
- independent variable
- random sample
Durkheim, Émile.  2004. “Suicide.” Pp. 65–83 in Readings from Emile Durkheim. Rev. ed., edited and translated by K. Thompson. New York: Routledge.
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “natural history study.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved August 13, 2020 (https://sociologydictionary.org/natural-history-study/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
natural history study. (2014). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/natural-history-study/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “natural history study.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed August 13, 2020. https://sociologydictionary.org/natural-history-study/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“natural history study.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2014. Web. 13 Aug. 2020. <https://sociologydictionary.org/natural-history-study/>.