Example: A university student is expected to complete assignments on time and come to class prepared.
Audio Pronunciation: (role ex·pec·ta·tion)
Download Audio Pronunciation: role expectation.mp3
- Plural: role expectations
- The terms role expectation and social role expectation are used interchangeably in a sociological context.
- In contrast to role expectation, role performance is the actual behavior and expression of an individual occupying a role.
- Variant form: role-expectation
- Role expectation used in a sentence: My teacher outlined everyone’s role expectations on the first day of class.
- Basow, Susan A. 1992. Gender: Stereotypes and Roles. Pacific Grove, CA: Brooks/Cole Publishing Company.
- Biddle, Bruce J. 1979. Role Theory: Expectations, Identities, and Behaviors. New York: Academic Press.
- Goffman, Erving. 1961. Encounters: Two Studies in the Sociology of Interaction. Indianapolis, Indiana: Bobbs-Merrill.
- Linton, Ralph. 1936. The Study of Man: An Introduction. New York: Appleton-Century-Crofts.
- Merton, Robert King. 1968. Social Theory and Social Structure. New York: Free Press.
- role conflict
- role distancing
- role performance
- role reversal
- role segregation
- role set
- role strain
- role taking
- role theory