Definitions of Daughter
Examples of Daughter
- American English – /dAWt-uhr/
- British English – /dAWt-uh/
International Phonetic Alphabet
- American English – /ˈdɑdər/
- British English – /ˈdɔːtə/
- Plural: daughters
- A daughter-in-law is the female spouse of an individual’s child.
- The male equivalent of daughter is a son.
- Also called:
- female child
- female offspring.
- A daughter acts (adjective) daughterly or (adjective) daughter-like and exhibits (noun) daughterliness and is in a state of (noun) daughterhood.
- “In American society, the basic kinship system consists of parents and children, but it may include other relatives as well, especially grandparents. Each person in this system has certain rights and obligations as a result of his or her position in the family structure. Furthermore, a person may occupy several positions at the same time. For example, an 18-year-old woman may simultaneously be a daughter, a sister, a cousin, an aunt, and a granddaughter. Each role entails different rights and obligations. As a daughter, the young woman may have to defer to certain decisions of her parents; as a sister, to share her bedroom; as a cousin, to attend a wedding; and as a granddaughter, to visit her grandparents during the holidays” (Strong, Devault, and Cohen 2011:19).
- Family and Kinship Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Word origin of “daughter” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
Strong, Bryan, Christine DeVault, and Theodore F. Cohen. 2011. The Marriage and Family Experience: Intimate Relationships in a Changing Society. 11th ed. Boston: Cengage Learning.
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “daughter.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved October 25, 2020 (https://sociologydictionary.org/daughter/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
daughter. (2014). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/daughter/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “daughter.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed October 25, 2020. https://sociologydictionary.org/daughter/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“daughter.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2014. Web. 25 Oct. 2020. <https://sociologydictionary.org/daughter/>.