1. (adjective) Relating to a classification, system, or taxonomy.
2. (adjective) Methodical, orderly, and purposeful.
Example: Abraham Harold Maslow’s (1908–1970) hierarchy of needs or a dictionary putting words in alphabetical order.
Audio Pronunciation: (sys·tem·at·ic)
Download Audio Pronunciation: systematic.mp3
- Also called systematical.
- The science of systematic classification is systematics.
- A (noun) systematician or (noun) systematizer or (noun) systematist (verb) systematizes research (adverb) systematically to assure (noun) systematization or (noun) systematicness.
- “Sociology is the systematic study of human society and social interaction. It is a systematic study because sociologists apply both theoretical perspectives and research methods (or orderly approaches) to examinations of social behavior” (Kendall 2006:2).
Kendall, Diane. 2006. Sociology in Our Times: The Essentials. 5th ed. Belmont, CA: Thomson/Wadsworth.
Collins English Dictionary: Complete and Unabridged. 6th ed. 2003. Glasgow, Scotland: Collins.
Encyclopædia Britannica. (N.d.) Britannica Digital Learning. (https://britannicalearn.com/).
Merriam-Webster. (N.d.) Merriam-Webster Dictionary. (http://www.merriam-webster.com/).
Princeton University. 2010. WordNet. (https://wordnet.princeton.edu/).
Random House Webster’s College Dictionary. 1997. New York: Random House.
Taylor & Francis. (N.d.) Routledge Handbooks Online. (https://www.routledgehandbooks.com/).
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wiktionary, The Free Dictionary. Wikimedia Foundation. (http://en.wiktionary.org).
Wiley. (N.d.) Wiley Online Library. (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/).
How to Cite the Definition of Systematic
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “systematic.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved March 24, 2019 (http://sociologydictionary.org/systematic/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
systematic. (2013). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from http://sociologydictionary.org/systematic/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “systematic.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed March 24, 2019. http://sociologydictionary.org/systematic/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“systematic.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2013. Web. 24 Mar. 2019. <http://sociologydictionary.org/systematic/>.