(noun) An institution that has the power to govern the people within its territory through laws and force.
Audio Pronunciation: (state)
Download Audio Pronunciation: state.mp3
- Plural: states
- The state and government are not the same thing sociologically speaking however outside of the social sciences the terms are used interchangeably.
- Not to be confused with “a state” such as North Carolina in the United States.
- Marx, Karl. Selected Writings in Sociology and Social Philosophy.
- Miliband, Ralph. 1969. The State in Capitalist Society. New York: Basic Books.
- Parsons, Talcott. 1969. Politics and Social Structure. New York: Free Press.
- Pierson, Christopher. 1996. The Modern State. London: Routledge.
- Poggi, Gianfranco. 1978. The Development of the Modern State: A Sociological Introduction. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press.