Definition of Legal
(adjective) Of, concerned with, founded, or based upon law.
- American English – /lEEgUHl/
- British English – /lEEgUHl/
International Phonetic Alphabet
- American English – /ˈliɡəl/
- British English – /ˈliːɡl/
- Legal issues are considered for (noun) legality or (noun) illegality by interpreting the law.
- “If one class in society is obliged to take any price for its services in order to survive, while another can abstain from such action thanks to the resources that it has at its disposal, which are not the result of any social superiority, the second has an unjust legal advantage over the first. In other words, there cannot be rich and poor from birth without there being unjust contracts” (Durkheim  2004:37).
- Crime and Law Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Politics and Policy Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Word origin of “legal” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
Durkheim, Émile.  2004. “The Division of Labour in Society.” Pp. 19–38 in Readings from Emile Durkheim. Rev. ed., edited and translated by K. Thompson. New York: Routledge.
Merriam-Webster. (N.d.) Merriam-Webster Dictionary. (http://www.merriam-webster.com/).
Oxford University Press. (N.d.) Oxford Dictionaries. (https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/).
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Wikimedia Foundation. (https://en.wikipedia.org/).
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “legal.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved July 13, 2020 (https://sociologydictionary.org/legal/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
legal. (2013). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/legal/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “legal.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed July 13, 2020. https://sociologydictionary.org/legal/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“legal.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2013. Web. 13 Jul. 2020. <https://sociologydictionary.org/legal/>.