(adjective) Concerning one nation.
Example: The tax code for a country.
Audio Pronunciation: (na·tion·al)
Download Audio Pronunciation: national.mp3
- Sociologists study (noun) nationality and (noun) nationalism to examine (adverb) nationally relevant themes such as (noun) nationalists and the process of (noun) nationalization or how culture (verb) nationalizes.
- Kendall, Gavin, Ian Woodward, and Zlatko Skrbiš. 2009. The Sociology of Cosmopolitanism: Globalization, Identity, Culture and Government. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Lechner, Frank, and John Boli. 2012. The Globalization Reader. Chichester, West Sussex: J. Wiley & Sons.
- Martell, Luke. 2010. The Sociology of Globalization. Malden, MA: Polity press.
- Nash, Kate. 2010. Contemporary Political Sociology: Globalization, Politics, and Power. 2nd. ed. Malden, MA: Blackwell.
- Robertson, Roland, and Kathleen E. White. 2003. Globalization: Critical Concepts in Sociology. London: Routledge.
- Sassen, Saskia. 2007. A Sociology of Globalization. New York: W. W. Norton.
- Savage, Michael, Gaynor Bagnall, and Brian Longhurst. 2005. Globalization and Belonging. London: SAGE
- cultural diffusion
- global perspective
- material culture
- nonmaterial culture
Merriam-Webster. (N.d.) Merriam-Webster Dictionary. (http://www.merriam-webster.com/).
Oxford University Press. (N.d.) Oxford Dictionaries. (https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/).
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wiktionary, The Free Dictionary. Wikimedia Foundation. (http://en.wiktionary.org).
How to Cite the Definition of National
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “national.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved March 26, 2019 (https://sociologydictionary.org/national/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
national. (2014). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/national/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “national.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed March 26, 2019. https://sociologydictionary.org/national/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“national.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2014. Web. 26 Mar. 2019. <https://sociologydictionary.org/national/>.