Definitions of Force
- (noun) Anything with the authority or power to coerce or influence an individual, place or thing (object).
- (noun) An individual or group processing or exercising authority, influence, or power.
- (noun) A group of people engaged in an activity.
Examples of Force
- Definition 1:
- Definition 2:
- Definition 3:
- sales force
- work force
International Phonetic Alphabet
- American English – /fɔ(ə)rs/
- British English – /fɔːs/
- Plural: forces
- Type: personified supernatural force
- A (noun) forcer (verb) forces a person, place, thing (object) (adverb) forcefully using (adjective) forcible or (adjective) forceful methods.
- Religion Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Word origin of “force” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
Hughes, Michael, and Carolyn J. Kroehler. 2011. Sociology: The Core. 10th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill.
Jary, David, and Julia Jary. 2000. Collins Dictionary of Sociology. 3rd ed. Glasgow, Scotland: HarperCollins.
Macmillan. (N.d.) Macmillan Dictionary. (https://www.macmillandictionary.com/).
Merriam-Webster. (N.d.) Merriam-Webster Dictionary. (http://www.merriam-webster.com/).
Oxford University Press. (N.d.) Oxford Dictionaries. (https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/).
Schaefer, Richard. 2013. Sociology: A Brief Introduction. 10th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill.
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wiktionary, The Free Dictionary. Wikimedia Foundation. (http://en.wiktionary.org).
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “force.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved December 10, 2019 (https://sociologydictionary.org/force/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
force. (2014). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/force/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “force.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed December 10, 2019. https://sociologydictionary.org/force/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“force.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2014. Web. 10 Dec. 2019. <https://sociologydictionary.org/force/>.