Example: A student through expected to come to class prepared did not complete the assigned readings and turns in an assignment late.
Audio Pronunciation: (role per·for·mance)
Download Audio Pronunciation: role performance.mp3
- Plural: role performances
- The terms role performance and social role performance are used interchangeably in a sociological context.
- In contrast to role performance, role expectation is the way a role ought to be performed as determined by a group or society.
- Variant form: role-performance
- Role performance used in a sentence: My role performance as a student was not at a high enough level and I failed the course.
- Basow, Susan A. 1992. Gender: Stereotypes and Roles. Pacific Grove, CA: Brooks/Cole Publishing Company.
- Biddle, Bruce J. 1979. Role Theory: Expectations, Identities, and Behaviors. New York: Academic Press.
- Burke, Peter J., and Donald C. Reitzes. 1981. “The Link Between Identity and Role Performance.” Social Psychology Quarterly 44(2):83–92.
- Goffman, Erving. 1961. Encounters: Two Studies in the Sociology of Interaction. Indianapolis, Indiana: Bobbs-Merrill.
- Linton, Ralph. 1936. The Study of Man: An Introduction. New York: Appleton-Century-Crofts.
- Mead, George Herbert, and Charles W. Morris. 1934. Mind, Self & Society from the Standpoint of a Social Behaviorist. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press.
- Merton, Robert King. 1968. Social Theory and Social Structure. New York: Free Press.