Definition of Duolocal Residence
Example of Duolocal Residence
- Formerly occurred in central Japan as studied by Harumi Befu in “Origin of Large Households and Duolocal Residence in Central Japan” (1968).
Duolocal Residence Pronunciation
Syllabification: du·o·lo·cal res·i·dence
- Plural: duolocal residences
- In contrast to duolocal residence, a matrilocal residence is when a husband and wife live with or near the wife’s family, an avunculocal residence is when a husband and wife live with or near the husband’s maternal uncle, bilocal residence is when a husband and wife can live with or near either spouses’ family or alternate between families, and a neolocal residence is when a married couple live together in a new residence instead of with the husband’s family or the wife’s family.
- A marriage with a duolocal residency requirement is informally referred to as a “walking marriage” or “visiting marriage.”
- A marriage that requires a duolocal residence is called a duolocal marriage.
- Also called:
- natalocal residence
- When spouses live with their original families after marriage, they are living (adjective) duolocal or (adjective) duolocally.
- Family and Kinship Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Word origin of “residence” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- avunculocal residence
- bilocal residence
- extended family
- matrilocal residence
- neolocal residence
- postmarital residence
- unilocal rule
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “duolocal residence.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved June 3, 2020 (http://sociologydictionary.org/duolocal-residence/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
duolocal residence. (2014). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from http://sociologydictionary.org/duolocal-residence/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “duolocal residence.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed June 3, 2020. http://sociologydictionary.org/duolocal-residence/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“duolocal residence.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2014. Web. 3 Jun. 2020. <http://sociologydictionary.org/duolocal-residence/>.