Definition of Avunculocal Residence
Avunculocal Residence Pronunciation
Syllabification: avun·cu·lo·cal res·i·dence
- Plural: avunculocal residences
- Avunculocal residences are found in matrilineal societies in which a nephew inherits property from his mother’s brother.
- In contrast to avunculocal residence, a matrilocal residence is when a husband and wife live with or near the wife’s family, a patrilocal residence is when a husband and wife live with or near the husband’s family, bilocal residence is when a husband and wife can live with or near either spouses’ family or alternate between families, duolocal residence is when a married couple lives at separate locations and typically only come together to conceive children, and a neolocal residence is when a married couple live together in a new residence instead of with the husband’s family or the wife’s family.
- The residency requirement to live with or near the family of either spouse is called a unilocal rule.
- A marriage that requires an avunculocal residence is called an avunculocal marriage.
- When spouses live with the husband’s maternal uncle, they are living (adjective) avunculocal or (adjective) avunculocally.
- Family and Kinship Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Word origin of “residence” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “avunculocal residence.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved February 1, 2023 (https://sociologydictionary.org/avunculocal-residence/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
avunculocal residence. (2014). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/avunculocal-residence/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “avunculocal residence.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed February 1, 2023. https://sociologydictionary.org/avunculocal-residence/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“avunculocal residence.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2014. Web. 1 Feb. 2023. <https://sociologydictionary.org/avunculocal-residence/>.