Definition of Age Cohort
Example of Age Cohort
Age Cohort Pronunciation
- IPA Pronunciation
- American English
- /eɪdʒ ˈkoʊˌhɔ(ə)rt/
- British English
- /eɪdʒ ˈkəʊhɔːt/
- American English
- Syllabification: (age co·hort)
- Plural: age cohorts
- Age cohorts are studied in demography.
- Different age cohorts experience different cohort effects and simultaneously experience longitudinal effects.
- A well defined unit of analysis is important to compare and contrast differing birth rates, life courses, and life expectancies between populations.
- Also called age group.
- Quantitative Research Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Word origin of “age” and “cohort” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- The Whys and Hows of Generations Research – Pew Research Center: people-press.org
Shepard, Jon M. 2010. Sociology. 11th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Andersen, Margaret L., and Howard Francis Taylor. 2011. Sociology: The Essentials. 6th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Brym, Robert J., and John Lie. 2007. Sociology: Your Compass for a New World. 3rd ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Ferrante, Joan. 2011. Sociology: A Global Perspective. 7th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Henslin, James M. 2012. Sociology: A Down-to-Earth Approach. 10th ed. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
Kendall, Diana. 2011. Sociology in Our Times. 8th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Kimmel, Michael S., and Amy Aronson. 2012. Sociology Now. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
Kornblum, William. 2008. Sociology in a Changing World. 8th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Macionis, John, and Kenneth Plummer. 2012. Sociology: A Global Introduction. 4th ed. Harlow, England: Pearson Education.
Merriam-Webster. (N.d.) Merriam-Webster Dictionary. (http://www.merriam-webster.com/).
Oxford University Press. (N.d.) Oxford Dictionaries. (https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/).
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wiktionary, The Free Dictionary. Wikimedia Foundation. (http://en.wiktionary.org).
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2019. “age cohort.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved September 17, 2019 (https://sociologydictionary.org/age cohort/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
age cohort. (2019). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/age cohort/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2019. “age cohort.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed September 17, 2019. https://sociologydictionary.org/age cohort/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“age cohort.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2019. Web. 17 Sep. 2019. <https://sociologydictionary.org/age cohort/>.