Definition of Redistribution of Wealth
Example of Redistribution of Wealth
- Yearly income taxes paid to the local or federal government that are then allocated to various agencies and individuals.
Redistribution of Wealth Pronunciation
- IPA Pronunciation
- American English
- /ˈˌridəstrəˈbjuʃ(ə)n əv wɛlθ/
- /ˈˌridəstrəˈbjuʃ(ə)n ə wɛlθ/
- British English
- /ˌriːdɪstrᵻˈbjuːʃn ɒv wɛlθ/
- /ˌriːdɪstrᵻˈbjuːʃn əv wɛlθ/
- /ˌriːdɪstrᵻˈbjuːʃn ə wɛlθ/
- American English
- Syllabification: (re·dis·tri·bu·tion of wealth)
- Plural: redistributions of wealth
- Progressive redistribution means it reduces inequality and regressive redistribution means it increases inequality. Redistribution that transfers resources between different economic classes is called vertical redistribution and between different groups (such as people without children and with children) is called horizontal redistribution.
- Economic Sociology Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Word origin of “redistribution” and “wealth” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- allocation of resources
- division of labor
- economic system
- market economy
- market exchange
- reciprocal exchange
- subsistence economy
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “redistribution of wealth.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved September 22, 2019 (https://sociologydictionary.org/redistribution-of-wealth/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
redistribution of wealth. (2014). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/redistribution-of-wealth/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “redistribution of wealth.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed September 22, 2019. https://sociologydictionary.org/redistribution-of-wealth/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“redistribution of wealth.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2014. Web. 22 Sep. 2019. <https://sociologydictionary.org/redistribution-of-wealth/>.