(noun) When inheritance is divided more or less equally among children in a family or all the male children.
Example: Sam and Kelley bequeathed the family estate equally among their three children.
Audio Pronunciation: (par·ti·ble in·her·i·tance)
Download Audio Pronunciation: partible inheritance.mp3
- Plural: partible inheritances
- Ultimogeniture and primogeniture are opposites of partible inheritance.
- An early form of partiple inheritance was practiced in Kent, England called gravelkind.
- Secundogeniture refers to inheritance granted to the second oldest child and tertiogeniture refers to inheritance granted to the third oldest child.
- A type of inheritance.
- Partible inheritance used in a sentence: I am lucky, I am the youngest and my family practices partible inheritance, so I will inherit an equal part of the family estate.
- Family and Kinship Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Word origin of “inheritance” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- Inheritance – Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia: en.wikipedia.org
- Primogeniture – Encyclopedia.com: encyclopedia.com
- career inheritance
- family life cycle
- family of orientation
- family of procreation
Collins English Dictionary: Complete and Unabridged. 6th ed. 2003. Glasgow, Scotland: Collins.
Farlex. (N.d.) TheFreeDictionary.com: Dictionary, Encyclopedia and Thesaurus. Farlex. (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/).
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wiktionary, The Free Dictionary. Wikimedia Foundation. (http://en.wiktionary.org).
How to Cite the Definition of Partible Inheritance
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “partible inheritance.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved March 27, 2019 (http://sociologydictionary.org/partible-inheritance/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
partible inheritance. (2014). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from http://sociologydictionary.org/partible-inheritance/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “partible inheritance.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed March 27, 2019. http://sociologydictionary.org/partible-inheritance/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“partible inheritance.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2014. Web. 27 Mar. 2019. <http://sociologydictionary.org/partible-inheritance/>.