Example: Quinn decided to will the family estate to Kelley, the youngest instead of Alexis, the oldest.
Audio Pronunciation: (ul·ti·mo·gen·i·ture)
Download Audio Pronunciation: ultimogeniture.mp3
- While rarer than primogeniture, there is a vast array of rule variation relating to ultimogeniture across societies and cultures and the reasons for its use. The primary reason however, is to maintain and consolidate a family’s money and property and therefore their power and influence.
- Primogeniture is the opposite of ultimogeniture and in contrast, partible inheritance is when inheritance is divided more or less equally among heirs.
- Secundogeniture refers to inheritance granted to the second oldest child and tertiogeniture refers to inheritance granted to the third oldest child.
- A type of inheritance.
- Also called:
- junior right
- Ultimimogeniture used in a sentence: I am lucky, I am the youngest and my family practices ultimogeniture, so I will inherit the family estate.
- Family and Kinship Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Origin of Primogeniture – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- Inheritance – Wikipedia the Free Encyclopedia: en.wikipedia.org
- Primogeniture – Encyclopedia.com: encyclopedia.com
- family life cycle
- family of orientation
- family of procreation
- partible inheritance
How to Cite the Definition of Ultimogeniture
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “ultimogeniture.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved December 16, 2018 (https://sociologydictionary.org/ultimogeniture/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
ultimogeniture. (2014). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/ultimogeniture/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “ultimogeniture.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed December 16, 2018. https://sociologydictionary.org/ultimogeniture/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“ultimogeniture.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2014. Web. 16 Dec. 2018. <https://sociologydictionary.org/ultimogeniture/>.