Definitions of Leader
- (noun) An individual that guides or leads.
- (noun) An individual in charge or in command of other people.
- (noun) An individual with the power to influence others.
Examples of Leader
- The leader of a company, such as Elon Musk (born 1971), the Chief Executive Officer of SpaceX.
- The leader of an orchestra, such as Stan Kenton (1911–1979).
- American English – /lEE-duhr/
- British English – /lEE-duh/
International Phonetic Alphabet
- American English – /ˈlidər/
- British English – /ˈliːdə/
- Plural: leaders
- A type of individual.
- authoritarian leader
- democratic leader
- expressive leader
- instrumental leader
- laissez-faire leader
- A leader (verb) leads through (noun) leadership and the followers of leaders are (verb) led.
Henslin, James M. 2012. Sociology: A Down-to-Earth Approach. 10th ed. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
Kimmel, Michael S., and Amy Aronson. 2012. Sociology Now. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
Merriam-Webster. (N.d.) Merriam-Webster Dictionary. (http://www.merriam-webster.com/).
Oxford University Press. (N.d.) Oxford Dictionaries. (https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/).
Stolley, Kathy S. 2005. The Basics of Sociology. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press.
Tischler, Henry L. 2011. Introduction to Sociology. 10th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wiktionary, The Free Dictionary. Wikimedia Foundation. (http://en.wiktionary.org).
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “leader.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved May 29, 2020 (http://sociologydictionary.org/leader/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
leader. (2013). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from http://sociologydictionary.org/leader/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “leader.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed May 29, 2020. http://sociologydictionary.org/leader/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“leader.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2013. Web. 29 May. 2020. <http://sociologydictionary.org/leader/>.