(noun) Any condition or practice of a woman having multiple husbands at the same time.
Example: The Toda people who live in southern India traditionally practiced polyandry but the practice is waning. The Todas specifically practiced fraternal polyandry (also called adelphic polyandry) in which a woman marries two brothers.
Audio Pronunciation: (pol·y·an·dry)
Download Audio Pronunciation: polyandry.mp3
- A type of polyamory and polygamy.
- Type: adelphogamy
- Polyandry used in a sentence: My mother practiced polyandry.
- A (noun) polyandrist engages in a (adjective) polyandric or (adjective) polyandrous or (adjective) polyandristic relationship.
- Coltrane, Scott. 2004. Families and Society: Classic and Contemporary Readings. Belmont, CA: Thomson/Wadsworth.
- Singh, Chetan. 2011. Recognizing Diversity: Society and Culture in the Himalaya. New Delhi: Oxford University Press.