(noun) Any condition or practice that consists of multiple spouses at the same time.
Audio Pronunciation: (po·lyg·a·my)
Download Audio Pronunciation: polygamy.mp3
- Polygamy, specifically polygyny and polyandry, as a marital norm is compared and contrasted monogamy.
- Monogamy is still prevalent in societies and cultures that allow or promote polygamy as typically only the wealthy can afford multiple spouses.
- A type of polyamory.
- Also called plural marriage.
- Polygamy used in a sentence: We enjoy polygamy.
- A (noun) polygamist engages in a (adjective) polygamous or (adjective) polygamistic relationship.
- Coltrane, Scott. 2004. Families and Society: Classic and Contemporary Readings. Belmont, CA: Thomson/Wadsworth.