Definitions of Humanity
- (noun) A collective term for all humans.
- (noun) The condition or state of being human.
Examples of Humanity
- Definition 1:
- All of the people on Earth.
- Definition 2:
- American English – /hyoo-mAn-uh-tee/
- British English – /hyu-mAn-i-tee/
International Phonetic Alphabet
- American English – /hjuˈmænədi/
- British English – /hjuːˈmanᵻti/
- Plural: humanities
- Also called:
- human race
- Historically called:
- Word origin of “humanity” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- Zeitlin, Irving M. 1984. The Social Condition of Humanity: An Introduction to Sociology. 2nd ed. New York: Oxford University Press.
- The Association for Humanist Sociology: ccsu.edu
The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language. 5th ed. 2011. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
Collins English Dictionary: Complete and Unabridged. 6th ed. 2003. Glasgow, Scotland: Collins.
Farlex. (N.d.) TheFreeDictionary.com: Dictionary, Encyclopedia and Thesaurus. Farlex. (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/).
Macmillan. (N.d.) Macmillan Dictionary. (https://www.macmillandictionary.com/).
Merriam-Webster. (N.d.) Merriam-Webster Dictionary. (http://www.merriam-webster.com/).
Oxford University Press. (N.d.) Oxford Dictionaries. (https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/).
Princeton University. 2010. WordNet. (https://wordnet.princeton.edu/).
Random House Webster’s College Dictionary. 1997. New York: Random House.
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wiktionary, The Free Dictionary. Wikimedia Foundation. (http://en.wiktionary.org).
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “humanity.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved October 27, 2020 (https://sociologydictionary.org/humanity/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
humanity. (2013). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/humanity/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “humanity.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed October 27, 2020. https://sociologydictionary.org/humanity/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“humanity.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2013. Web. 27 Oct. 2020. <https://sociologydictionary.org/humanity/>.