Definition of Parallel-cousin
Examples of Parallel-cousin
Syllabification: par·al·lel cous·in
- American English – /pAIR-uh-lel-kUHz-uhn/
- British English – /pAr-uh-lel-kUHz-uhn/
International Phonetic Alphabet
- American English – /ˈpɛrəˌlɛl-ˈkʌzən/
- British English – /ˈpærəlɛl-ˈkʌzn/
- Plural: parallel-cousins
- The sexes of the children do not matter as long as the sexes of the siblings are the same.
- A parallel cousin is part of an extended family.
- In contrast to parallel-cousin, cross-cousin is the kinship of children from a brother and sister and both kinship statuses are used to determine marriage eligibility.
- Variant forms:
- parallel cousin
- Also called ortho-cousin.
- Two people who are parallel-cousins share (noun) parallel-cousinhood or (noun) parallel-cousinship and are (adverb) parallel-cousinly related.
- Family and Kinship Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Word origin of “parallel” and “cousin” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- Berns, Roberta. 2004. Child, Family, School, Community: Socialization and Support. 6th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
- Collins, Randall. 1985. Sociology of Marriage and the Family: Gender, Love, and Property. Chicago: Nelson-Hall.
- Hill, Shirley A. 2012. Families: A Social Class Perspective. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.
- LaRossa, Ralph, ed. 1984. Family Case Studies: A Sociological Perspective. New York: Free Press.
- Mead, Margaret, and Ken Heyman. 1965. Family. New York: Macmillan.
- Newman, David M. 2009. Families: A Sociological Perspective. Boston: McGraw-Hill Higher Education.
- Parsons, Talcott, and Robert Freed Bales. 1955. Family, Socialization and Interaction Process. Glencoe, IL: Free Press.
- Scott, Jacqueline L., Judith Treas, and Martin Richards, eds. 2004. The Blackwell Companion to the Sociology of Families. Malden, MA: Blackwell.
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “parallel-cousin.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved January 22, 2021 (https://sociologydictionary.org/parallel-cousin/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
parallel-cousin. (2014). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/parallel-cousin/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “parallel-cousin.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed January 22, 2021. https://sociologydictionary.org/parallel-cousin/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“parallel-cousin.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2014. Web. 22 Jan. 2021. <https://sociologydictionary.org/parallel-cousin/>.