Definition of Informal Education
Examples of Informal Education
- Reading books
- Watching others perform tasks
Informal Education Pronunciation
- IPA Pronunciation
- American English
- /ᵻnˈfɔrm(ə)l ˌɛdʒəˈkeɪʃ(ə)n/
- British English
- /ɪnˈfɔːml ˌɛdjᵿˈkeɪʃn/
- /ɪnˈfɔːml ˌɛdʒᵿˈkeɪʃn/
- American English
- Syllabification: (in·for·mal ed·u·ca·tion)
- Plural: informal educations
- Informal education is contrasted to formal education.
- “[W]hat schools do ideologically, culturally, and economically is very complicated and cannot be fully understood by the application of any simple formula. There are very strong connections between the formal and informal knowledge within the school and the larger society with all its inequalities. But since the pressures and demands of dominant groups are highly mediated by the internal histories of educational institutions and by the needs and ideologies of people who actually work in them, the aims and results will often be contradictory as well” (Apple 1990:x–xi).
- anticipatory socialization
- cultural capital
- formal education
- grade inflation
- hidden curriculum
Apple, Michael W. 1990. Ideology and Curriculum. 2nd ed. New York: Routledge.
Note: Read for free at the Open Libary.
Ferrante, Joan. 2011a. Seeing Sociology: An Introduction. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Ferrante, Joan. 2011b. Sociology: A Global Perspective. 7th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Griffiths, Heather, Nathan Keirns, Eric Strayer, Susan Cody-Rydzewski, Gail Scaramuzzo, Tommy Sadler, Sally Vyain, Jeff Bry, Faye Jones. 2016. Introduction to Sociology 2e. Houston, TX: OpenStax.
Kendall, Diana. 2011. Sociology in Our Times. 8th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “informal education.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved August 26, 2019 (https://sociologydictionary.org/informal-education/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
informal education. (2013). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/informal-education/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “informal education.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed August 26, 2019. https://sociologydictionary.org/informal-education/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“informal education.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2013. Web. 26 Aug. 2019. <https://sociologydictionary.org/informal-education/>.