Definitions of Grandfather
- American English – /grAnd-fahTH-uhr/
- British English – /grAnd-fahTH-uh/
International Phonetic Alphabet
- American English – /ˈɡræn(d)ˌfɑðər/
- British English – /ˈɡran(d)ˌfɑːðə/
- Plural: grandfathers
- A great grandfather (great-grandfather) is the grandfather of an individual’s parent.
- Family and Kinship Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Word origin of “grandfather” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “grandfather.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved January 20, 2021 (https://sociologydictionary.org/grandfather/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
grandfather. (2014). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/grandfather/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “grandfather.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed January 20, 2021. https://sociologydictionary.org/grandfather/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“grandfather.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2014. Web. 20 Jan. 2021. <https://sociologydictionary.org/grandfather/>.