Definition of Tendency
(noun) An inclination; propensity.
Example of Tendency
- Individuals have a tendency to be left-handed or right-handed.
- American English – /tEn-duhn-see/
- British English – /tEn-duhn-see/
International Phonetic Alphabet
- American English – /ˈtɛndənsi/
- British English – /ˈtɛndənsi/
- Plural: tendencies
- A sociologist (adverb) tendentiously or (adverb) tendenciously or (adverb) tendentially or (adverb) tendencially views the world through the sociological lens to create (adjective) tendential (adjective) tendentious or (adjective) tendencious research that has sociological (noun) tendentiousness or (noun) tendenciousness.
- “Ethnocentrism is one of sociology’s distinctive concepts. Comprehension of this concept is a major step in the acquisition of a sociological outlook. Students of introductory sociology are often left, at the end of the course, with a feeling that the term “ethnocentrism” denotes a flaw in human nature. Some of them may also be persuaded that their exposure to academic sociology has helped to immunize them against this natural but supposedly lamentable tendency to react ethnocentrically to people in other societies” (Catton 1960:201).
Catton, William R. 1960. “The Functions and Dysfunctions of Ethnocentrism: A Theory.” Social Problems 8(3):201–11. doi:10.2307/798910.
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2015. “tendency.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved July 11, 2020 (https://sociologydictionary.org/tendency/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
tendency. (2015). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/tendency/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2015. “tendency.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed July 11, 2020. https://sociologydictionary.org/tendency/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“tendency.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2015. Web. 11 Jul. 2020. <https://sociologydictionary.org/tendency/>.