Definitions of Prayer
- (noun) A request or wish made to a supernatural being or power.
- (noun) Communicating with supernatural beings or power.
Examples of Prayer
- Definition 1:
- A requiescat, a prayer for the soul of a dead person such as rest in peace (R.I.P.).
- Definition 2:
- Bhakti, a devotional prayer in Buddhism and Hinduism.
- American English – /prAIR/
- British English – /prEUH/
International Phonetic Alphabet
- American English – /ˈprɛ(ə)r/
- British English – /ˈprɛː/
- Plural: prayers
- A (noun) prayer (verb) prays a (noun) prayer.
- Religion Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Word origin of “prayer” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- personified supernatural force
Macmillan. (N.d.) Macmillan Dictionary. (https://www.macmillandictionary.com/).
Merriam-Webster. (N.d.) Merriam-Webster Dictionary. (http://www.merriam-webster.com/).
Oxford University Press. (N.d.) Oxford Dictionaries. (https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/).
Princeton University. 2010. WordNet. (https://wordnet.princeton.edu/).
Random House Webster’s College Dictionary. 1997. New York: Random House.
Tischler, Henry L. 2011. Introduction to Sociology. 10th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Wikimedia Foundation. (https://en.wikipedia.org/).
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wiktionary, The Free Dictionary. Wikimedia Foundation. (http://en.wiktionary.org).
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “prayer.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved March 2, 2021 (https://sociologydictionary.org/prayer/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
prayer. (2014). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/prayer/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “prayer.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed March 2, 2021. https://sociologydictionary.org/prayer/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“prayer.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2014. Web. 2 Mar. 2021. <https://sociologydictionary.org/prayer/>.