Definition of Age Stratification Theory
Examples of Age Stratification Theory
- Differing levels of political power based on age.
- Minimum age requirements to drinking alcohol, driving a vehicle, or joining the military.
Age Stratification Theory Pronunciation
Syllabification: age strat·i·fi·ca·tion the·o·ry
- American English – /AYj strat-uh-fuh-kAY-shuhn thEE-uhr-ree/
- British English – /AYj strat-i-fi-kAY-shuhn thIUH-ree/
International Phonetic Alphabet
- American English: /ˈeɪdʒ ˌstɹætəfəˈkeɪʃən ˈθiɚɹɪ/
- British English: /ˈeɪdʒ ˌstɹætɪfɪˈkeɪʃ(ə)n ˈθɪ(ə)ɹɪ/
- Plural: age stratification theories
- Ageism leads to age stratification.
- Society is similarly stratified by class, ethnicity, and gender.
- Variant spelling: age-stratification theory
- Word origin of “age” and “stratification” and “theory” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- Fineman, Stephen. 2011. Organizing Age. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Laslett, Peter. 1989. A Fresh Map of Life. London: Weidenfeld and Nicolson.
Andersen, Margaret L., and Howard Francis Taylor. 2011. Sociology: The Essentials. 6th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Brym, Robert J., and John Lie. 2007. Sociology: Your Compass for a New World. 3rd ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Griffiths, Heather, Nathan Keirns, Eric Strayer, Susan Cody-Rydzewski, Gail Scaramuzzo, Tommy Sadler, Sally Vyain, Jeff Bry, Faye Jones. 2016. Introduction to Sociology 2e. Houston, TX: OpenStax.
Macionis, John. 2012. Sociology. 14th ed. Boston: Pearson.
Oxford University Press. (N.d.) Oxford Dictionaries. (https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/).
Random House Webster’s College Dictionary. 1997. New York: Random House.
Scott, John, and Gordon Marshall. 2005. A Dictionary of Sociology. New York: Oxford University Press.
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Wikimedia Foundation. (https://en.wikipedia.org/).
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “age stratification theory.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved February 27, 2021 (https://sociologydictionary.org/age-stratification-theory/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
age stratification theory. (2014). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/age-stratification-theory/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “age stratification theory.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed February 27, 2021. https://sociologydictionary.org/age-stratification-theory/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“age stratification theory.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2014. Web. 27 Feb. 2021. <https://sociologydictionary.org/age-stratification-theory/>.