Definitions of Mantra
- (noun) A sacred and ritually repeated incantation, meditation, or prayer.
- (noun) An oft repeated word or phrase.
Examples of Mantra
- Definition 1:
- Om (also called omkara or aumkara), a Sanskrit sound repeated during meditation.
- Definition 2:
- “better safe than sorry”
- “new and improved”
- American English – /mAHn-truh/
- British English – /mAn-truh/
International Phonetic Alphabet
- American English – /ˈmæntrə/
- British English – /ˈmantrə/
- Plural: mantras
- Also called mantram.
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “mantra.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved October 22, 2020 (https://sociologydictionary.org/mantra/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
mantra. (2014). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/mantra/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “mantra.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed October 22, 2020. https://sociologydictionary.org/mantra/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“mantra.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2014. Web. 22 Oct. 2020. <https://sociologydictionary.org/mantra/>.