Definition of Hypothetico-deductive Model
(noun) A research method in which a hypothesis is deduced from theory and observable empirical evidence is collected to test the hypothesis.
Hypothetico-deductive Model Pronunciation
Syllabification: hy·po·thet·i·co de·duc·tive mod·el
- Plural: hypothetico-deductive models
- Using the hypothetico-deductive model, if a hypothesis is true, the theory is confirmed but if the hypothesis is false, the theory is disconfirmed.
- Not all research requires a hypothesis. For example, ethnography and phenomenology, which are intended primarily to provide description.
- Quantitative Research Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Gauch, Hugh G., Jr. 2003. Scientific Method in Practice. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Lehmann, E. L., and Joseph P. Romano. 2010. Testing Statistical Hypotheses. 3rd ed. New York: Springer.
- Poletiek, Fenna. 2001. Hypothesis-testing Behaviour. Philadelphia: Psychology Press.
- Popper, Karl R. 1959. The Logic of Scientific Discovery. New York: Basic Books.
- grounded theory
- informed consent
Babbie, Earl. 2013. The Practice of Social Research. 13th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Bryman, Alan. 2012. Social Research Methods. 4th ed. New York: Oxford University Press.
O’Leary, Zina. 2007. The Social Science Jargon Buster: The Key Terms You Need to Know. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Wikimedia Foundation. (https://en.wikipedia.org/).
Cite the Definition of Hypothetico-deductive Model
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “hypothetico-deductive model.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved June 5, 2023 (https://sociologydictionary.org/hypothetico-deductive-model/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
hypothetico-deductive model. (2014). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/hypothetico-deductive-model/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “hypothetico-deductive model.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed June 5, 2023. https://sociologydictionary.org/hypothetico-deductive-model/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“hypothetico-deductive model.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2014. Web. 5 Jun. 2023. <https://sociologydictionary.org/hypothetico-deductive-model/>.