(noun) A research method in which a hypothesis is deduced from theory and observable empirical evidence is collected to test the hypothesis.
Audio Pronunciation: (hy·po·thet·i·co-deductive mod·el)
Download Audio Pronunciation: hypothetico-deductive model.mp3
- Using the hypothetico-deductive model, if a hypothesis is true, the theory is confirmed but if the hypothesis is false, the theory is disconfirmed.
- Not all research requires a hypothesis such as ethnography and phenomenology which are intended to provide description.
- Quantitative Research Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Gauch, Hugh G., Jr. 2003. Scientific Method in Practice. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Lehmann, E. L., and Joseph P. Romano. 2010. Testing Statistical Hypotheses. 3rd ed. New York: Springer.
- Poletiek, Fenna. 2001. Hypothesis-Testing Behaviour. Philadelphia: Psychology Press.
- Popper, Karl R. 1959. The Logic of Scientific Discovery. New York: Basic Books.
The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language. 5th ed. 2011. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
Babbie, Earl. 2013. The Practice of Social Research. 13th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Bryman, Alan. 2012. Social Research Methods. 4th ed. New York: Oxford University Press.
Collins English Dictionary: Complete and Unabridged. 6th ed. 2003. Glasgow, Scotland: Collins.
O’Leary, Zina. 2007. The Social Science Jargon Buster: the Key Terms You Need to Know. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.
Oxford University Press. (N.d.) Oxford Dictionaries. (https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/).
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Wikimedia Foundation. (https://en.wikipedia.org/).
How to Cite the Definition of Hypothetico-deductive Model
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “hypothetico-deductive model.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved January 23, 2019 (http://sociologydictionary.org/hypothetico-deductive-model/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
hypothetico-deductive model. (2014). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from http://sociologydictionary.org/hypothetico-deductive-model/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “hypothetico-deductive model.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed January 23, 2019. http://sociologydictionary.org/hypothetico-deductive-model/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“hypothetico-deductive model.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2014. Web. 23 Jan. 2019. <http://sociologydictionary.org/hypothetico-deductive-model/>.