(noun) “[T]he process by which the principles of the fast-food restaurant are coming to dominate more and more sectors of American society as well as the rest of world” (Ritzer 2015:1)
Audio Pronunciation: (mc·do·nald·i·za·tion)
Download Audio Pronunciation: McDonaldization.mp3
- Coined by George Ritzer (born 1940) in The McDonaldization of Society (1993). Ritzer’s work is currently in the 8th edition, recently updated to discuss new social movements related to McDonalization of society.
- Ritzer, George, 1998. The McDonaldization Thesis. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.
- Ritzer, George. 2010. McDonaldization: The Reader. 3rd ed. Thousand Oaks, CA: Pine Forge.
- Ritzer, George. 2015. The McDonaldization of Society. 8th ed. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.
- Smart, Barry. 1999. Resisting McDonaldization. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.
- Taylor, Frederick Winslow.  2009. The Principles of Scientific Management. Charleston, SC: BiblioBazaar.
- clear division of labor
- explicit rule
- Iron Rule of Oligarchy
- Weber, Max
Ritzer, George. 2014. The McDonaldization of Society. Los Angeles. Sage.