Definition of McDonaldization
(noun) “[T]he process by which the principles of the fast-food restaurant are coming to dominate more and more sectors of American society as well as the rest of world” (Ritzer 2015:1).
Etymology of McDonaldization
- Coined by George Ritzer (born 1940) in The McDonaldization of Society (1993). Ritzer’s work is currently in its 9th edition, recently updated to discuss how the digital age is related to the McDonaldization of society.
International Phonetic Alphabet
- American English – /məkˌdɑnəl(d)əˈzeɪʃ(ə)n/
- British English – /məkˌdɒnldʌɪˈzeɪʃn/
- Plural: McDonaldizations
- Food and Agriculture Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Ritzer, George, 1998. The McDonaldization Thesis. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.
- Ritzer, George. 2010. McDonaldization: The Reader. 3rd ed. Thousand Oaks, CA: Pine Forge.
- Ritzer, George. 2015. The McDonaldization of Society. 8th ed. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.
- Smart, Barry. 1999. Resisting McDonaldization. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.
- Taylor, Frederick Winslow.  2009. The Principles of Scientific Management. Charleston, SC: BiblioBazaar.
Ritzer, George. 2014. The McDonaldization of Society. 8th ed. Los Angeles: SAGE.
Andersen, Margaret L., and Howard Francis Taylor. 2011. Sociology: The Essentials. 6th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Brinkerhoff, David, Lynn White, Suzanne Ortega, and Rose Weitz. 2011. Essentials of Sociology. 8th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Carrabine, Eamonn, Pam Cox, Maggy Lee, Ken Plummer, and Nigel South. 2009. Criminology: A Sociological Introduction. 2nd ed. London: Routledge.
Dillon, Michele. 2014. Introduction to Sociological Theory: Theorists, Concepts, and their Applicability to the Twenty-first Century. 2nd ed. Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell.
Ferrante, Joan. 2011a. Seeing Sociology: An Introduction. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Ferrante, Joan. 2011b. Sociology: A Global Perspective. 7th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Ferris, Kerry, and Jill Stein. 2010. The Real World: An Introduction to Sociology. 2nd ed. New York: Norton.
Griffiths, Heather, Nathan Keirns, Eric Strayer, Susan Cody-Rydzewski, Gail Scaramuzzo, Tommy Sadler, Sally Vyain, Jeff Bry, Faye Jones. 2016. Introduction to Sociology 2e. Houston, TX: OpenStax.
Henslin, James M. 2012. Sociology: A Down-to-Earth Approach. 10th ed. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
Kimmel, Michael S., and Amy Aronson. 2012. Sociology Now. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
Macionis, John, and Kenneth Plummer. 2012. Sociology: A Global Introduction. 4th ed. Harlow, England: Pearson Education.
Marsh, Ian, and Mike Keating, eds. 2006. Sociology: Making Sense of Society. 3rd ed. Harlow, England: Pearson Education.
O’Leary, Zina. 2007. The Social Science Jargon Buster: The Key Terms You Need to Know. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.
Ravelli, Bruce, and Michelle Webber. 2016. Exploring Sociology: A Canadian Perspective. 3rd ed. Toronto: Pearson.
Schaefer, Richard. 2013. Sociology: A Brief Introduction. 10th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill.
Stolley, Kathy S. 2005. The Basics of Sociology. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press.
Thorpe, Christopher, Chris Yuill, Mitchell Hobbs, Sarah Tomley, and Marcus Weeks. 2015. The Sociology Book: Big Ideas Simply Explained. London: Dorling Kindersley.
Note: In academic writing, it is best practice to use the original source. If you are unable to find the referenced original source, follow these style guides to assist you with the proper citation.