1. (noun) When birth rates equal death rates either locally or globally.
Audio Pronunciation: (zero population growth)
Download Audio Pronunciation: zero population growth.mp3
- Plural: zero population growths
- Some definitions of zero population growth only consider a balance of death rates to birth rate but not emigration or immigration.
- Also called:
- population equilibrium
- replacement level fertility
- Cohen, Joel E. 1995. How Many People Can the Earth Support? New York: Norton.
- Ehrlich, Paul R. 1968. The Population Bomb. New York: Ballantine Books.
- Mazmanian, Daniel A., and Michael E. Kraft. 1999. Toward Sustainable Communities: Transition and Transformations in Environmental Policy. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.