Definition of White-collar Crime
(noun) A nonviolent crime of opportunity, often involving money.
Example of White-collar Crime
- embezzlement: The theft of funds or property entrusted to you but owned by another.
White-collar Crime Pronunciation
Syllabification: white col·lar crime
- American English – /wIEt-kAHl-uhr krIEm/
- British English – /wiet-kOl-uh krIEm/
International Phonetic Alphabet
- American English – /waɪt-ˈkɑlər kraɪm/
- British English – /ˈwaɪtˈkɒlə kraɪm/
- Plural: white-collar crimes
- Term originates from the white dress shirts worn by professionals such as bankers and lawyers, as opposed to the denim or blue uniform shirts worn by wage laborers or blue-collar workers.
- A type of crime.
- Also called corporate crime.
- Crime and Law Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Politics and Policy Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Word origin of “white-collar” and “crime” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- Coleman, James William. 1994. The Criminal Elite: The Sociology of White-collar Crime. 3rd ed. New York: St. Martin’s Press.
- Friedrichs, David O. 1996. Trusted Criminals: White Collar Crime in Contemporary Society. Belmont: Wadsworth.
- Sutherland, Edwin Hardin. 1949. White Collar Crime. New York: Holt, Rinehart and Winston.
Andersen, Margaret L., and Howard Francis Taylor. 2011. Sociology: The Essentials. 6th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Briggs, Steven M., and Joan Friedman. 2009. Criminology For Dummies. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.
Brinkerhoff, David, Lynn White, Suzanne Ortega, and Rose Weitz. 2011. Essentials of Sociology. 8th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Brym, Robert J., and John Lie. 2007. Sociology: Your Compass for a New World. 3rd ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Clinard, Marshall Barron, and Robert Frank Meier. 2011. Sociology of Deviant Behavior. 14th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Ferrante, Joan. 2011a. Seeing Sociology: An Introduction. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Ferrante, Joan. 2011b. Sociology: A Global Perspective. 7th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Ferris, Kerry, and Jill Stein. 2010. The Real World: An Introduction to Sociology. 2nd ed. New York: Norton.
Henslin, James M. 2012. Sociology: A Down-to-Earth Approach. 10th ed. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
Hughes, Michael, and Carolyn J. Kroehler. 2011. Sociology: The Core. 10th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill.
Kimmel, Michael S., and Amy Aronson. 2012. Sociology Now. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
Macionis, John. 2012. Sociology. 14th ed. Boston: Pearson.
Macmillan. (N.d.) Macmillan Dictionary. (https://www.macmillandictionary.com/).
Marsh, Ian, and Mike Keating, eds. 2006. Sociology: Making Sense of Society. 3rd ed. Harlow, England: Pearson Education.
Oxford University Press. (N.d.) Oxford Dictionaries. (https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/).
Schaefer, Richard. 2013. Sociology: A Brief Introduction. 10th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill.
Siegel, Larry J., and Clemens Bartollas. 2011. Corrections Today. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth Cengage Learning.
Siegel, Larry J., and John L. Worrall. 2012. Introduction to Criminal Justice. 13th ed. Belmont: CA: Wadsworth Cengage Learning.
Siegel, Larry J., and John L. Worrall. 2013. Essentials of Criminal Justice. 8th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth Cengage Learning.
Shepard, Jon M. 2010. Sociology. 11th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Shepard, Jon M., and Robert W. Greene. 2003. Sociology and You. New York: Glencoe.
Tischler, Henry L. 2011. Introduction to Sociology. 10th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Wiley. (N.d.) Wiley Online Library. (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/).
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “white-collar crime.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved January 22, 2021 (https://sociologydictionary.org/white-collar-crime/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
white-collar crime. (2014). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/white-collar-crime/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “white-collar crime.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed January 22, 2021. https://sociologydictionary.org/white-collar-crime/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“white-collar crime.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2014. Web. 22 Jan. 2021. <https://sociologydictionary.org/white-collar-crime/>.