Definitions of Supranational
(adjective) Beyond the scope of one nation’s boundaries or interests.
Example of Supranational
- Climate change is a supranational problem.
- American English – /soo-pruh-nAsh-uhn-l/
- British English – /syoo-pruh-nAsh-uh-nuhl/
International Phonetic Alphabet
- American English – /ˌsuprəˈnæʃ(ə)nəl/
- British English – /ˌsjuːprəˈnaʃn̩(ə)l/
- Sociologists study (noun) supranationality and (noun) supranationalism to examine (adverb) supranationally relevant themes such as (noun) supranationalists and the process of (noun) supranationalization or how culture (verb) supranationalizes.
- Word origin of “supra-national” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- Kendall, Gavin, Ian Woodward, and Zlatko Skrbiš. 2009. The Sociology of Cosmopolitanism: Globalization, Identity, Culture and Government. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Martell, Luke. 2010. The Sociology of Globalization. Malden, MA: Polity Press.
- Nash, Kate. 2010. Contemporary Political Sociology: Globalization, Politics, and Power. 2nd ed. Malden, MA: Blackwell.
- Robertson, Roland, and Kathleen E. White, eds. 2003. Globalization: Critical Concepts in Sociology. London: Routledge.
- Sassen, Saskia. 2007. A Sociology of Globalization. New York: Norton.
- Savage, Michael, Gaynor Bagnall, and Brian Longhurst. 2005. Globalization and Belonging. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.
- cultural diffusion
- global perspective
- material culture
- nonmaterial culture
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “supranational.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved October 27, 2020 (https://sociologydictionary.org/supranational/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
supranational. (2014). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/supranational/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “supranational.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed October 27, 2020. https://sociologydictionary.org/supranational/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“supranational.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2014. Web. 27 Oct. 2020. <https://sociologydictionary.org/supranational/>.