(noun) Beyond the scope of one nation’s boundaries or interests.
Example: Climate change is a supranational problem.
Audio Pronunciation: (su·pra·na·tion·al)
Download Audio Pronunciation: supranational.mp3
- Sociologists study (noun) supranationality and (noun) suprannationalism to examine (adverb) suprannationally relevant themes such as (noun) suprannationalists and the process of (noun) suprannationalization or how culture (verb) suprannationalizes.
- Word origin of “supra-national” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- Kendall, Gavin, Ian Woodward, and Zlatko Skrbiš. 2009. The Sociology of Cosmopolitanism: Globalization, Identity, Culture and Government. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Lechner, Frank, and John Boli. 2012. The Globalization Reader. Chichester, West Sussex: J. Wiley & Sons.
- Martell, Luke. 2010. The Sociology of Globalization. Malden, MA: Polity press.
- Nash, Kate. 2010. Contemporary Political Sociology: Globalization, Politics, and Power. 2nd. ed. Malden, MA: Blackwell.
- Robertson, Roland, and Kathleen E. White. 2003. Globalization: Critical Concepts in Sociology. London: Routledge.
- Sassen, Saskia. 2007. A Sociology of Globalization. New York: W. W. Norton.
- Savage, Michael, Gaynor Bagnall, and Brian Longhurst. 2005. Globalization and Belonging. London: SAGE
- cultural diffusion
- global perspective
- material culture
- nonmaterial culture
How to Cite the Definition of Supranational
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “supranational.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved December 12, 2018 (https://sociologydictionary.org/supranational/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
supranational. (2014). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/supranational/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “supranational.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed December 12, 2018. https://sociologydictionary.org/supranational/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“supranational.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2014. Web. 12 Dec. 2018. <https://sociologydictionary.org/supranational/>.