(noun) A society partly organized around formal social stratification such as caste or class that limits access to resources and prestige to some individuals.
Example: Typically, agrarian and industrialized societies.
Audio Pronunciation: (strat·i·fied so·ciety)
Download Audio Pronunciation: stratified society.mp3
- Word origin of “stratify” and “society” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- Dahrendorf, Ralf. 1988. The Modern Social Conflict: An Essay on the Politics of Liberty. 2nd ed. London: Weidenfeld and Nicolson.
- Giddens, Anthony. 1973. The Class Structure of the Advanced Societies. London: Hutchinson.
- Grusky, David B., ed. 2014. Social Stratification: Class, Race, and Gender in Sociological Perspective. 4th ed. Boulder, CO: Westview Press.
- Kerbo, Harold Ray. 2012. Social Stratification and Inequality: Class Conflict in Historical, Comparative, and Global Perspective. 8th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Marx, Karl, and Friedrich Engels. 1848. The Communist Manifesto.
- Massey, Douglas S. 2007. Categorically Unequal: The American Stratification System. New York: Russell Sage Foundation.
- Mills, C. Wright. 1956. The Power Elite. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Society – Wikipedia the Free Encyclopedia: en.wikipedia.org
- Types of Society – Sociology Guide: sociologyguide.com
How to Cite the Definition of Stratified Society
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “stratified society.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved December 12, 2018 (https://sociologydictionary.org/stratified-society/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
stratified society. (2014). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/stratified-society/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “stratified society.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed December 12, 2018. https://sociologydictionary.org/stratified-society/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“stratified society.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2014. Web. 12 Dec. 2018. <https://sociologydictionary.org/stratified-society/>.