Definition of Status Consistency
(noun) A situation in which an individual’s status is similar across several categories such as education, income and occupation.
Example of Status Consistency
- A highly esteemed professor at a prestigious institution who is paid well has status consistency; a highly esteemed professor at a prestigious school who is not paid well has status inconsistency.
Etymology of Status Consistency
- Coined by Gerhard Lenski (1924–2015).
Status Consistency Pronunciation
Syllabification: stat·us con·sis·ten·cy
- American English – /stAY-tuhs kuhn-sIs-tuhn-see/
- British English – /stAY-tuhs kuhn-sIs-tuhn-see/
International Phonetic Alphabet
- American English – /ˈstætəs kənˈsɪstənsi/
- British English – /ˈsteɪtəs kənˈsɪstənsi/
- Plural: status consistencies
- In caste systems, an individual’s statuses are typically consistent but in class systems with social mobility statuses can be inconsistent.
- achieved status
- ascribed status
- master status
- status lender
- status offense
- status quo
- status symbol
Griffiths, Heather, Nathan Keirns, Eric Strayer, Susan Cody-Rydzewski, Gail Scaramuzzo, Tommy Sadler, Sally Vyain, Jeff Bry, Faye Jones. 2016. Introduction to Sociology 2e. Houston, TX: OpenStax.
Henslin, James M. 2012. Sociology: A Down-to-Earth Approach. 10th ed. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
Macionis, John. 2012. Sociology. 14th ed. Boston: Pearson.
Oxford University Press. (N.d.) Oxford Dictionaries. (https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/).
Taylor & Francis. (N.d.) Routledge Handbooks Online. (https://www.routledgehandbooks.com/).
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Wikimedia Foundation. (https://en.wikipedia.org/).
Wiley. (N.d.) Wiley Online Library. (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/).
Cite the Definition of Status Consistency
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “status consistency.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved June 5, 2023 (https://sociologydictionary.org/status-consistency/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
status consistency. (2013). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/status-consistency/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “status consistency.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed June 5, 2023. https://sociologydictionary.org/status-consistency/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“status consistency.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2013. Web. 5 Jun. 2023. <https://sociologydictionary.org/status-consistency/>.