Definition of State Autonomy
State Autonomy Pronunciation
Syllabification: state au·ton·o·my
- American English – /stAYt aw-tAHn-uh-mee/
- British English – /stAYt aw-tOn-uh-mee/
International Phonetic Alphabet
- American English – /steɪt ɔˈtɑnəmi/
- British English – /steɪt ɔːˈtɒnəmi/
- Plural: state autonomies
- The term “State” does not have to be capitalized, but typically is in legal documents and is capitalized here for differentiation.
- Variant spelling: State autonomy
- Word origin of “state” and “autonomy” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
- Domhoff, G. William. 1996. State Autonomy or Class Dominance? Case Studies on Policy Making in America. New York: Aldine de Gruyter.
- Fineman, Martha. 2004. The Autonomy Myth: A Theory of Dependency. New York: New Press.
- O’Connor, James. 1973. The Fiscal Crisis of the State. New York: St. Martin’s Press.
- Parkin, Frank. 1979. Marxism and Class Theory: A Bourgeois Critique. New York: Columbia University Press.
- Smith, Martin J. 1993. Pressure, Power, and Policy: State Autonomy and Policy Networks in Britain and the United States. Pittsburgh, PA: University of Pittsburgh Press.
Encyclopædia Britannica. (N.d.) Britannica Digital Learning. (https://britannicalearn.com/).
Oxford University Press. (N.d.) Oxford Dictionaries. (https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/).
Thorpe, Christopher, Chris Yuill, Mitchell Hobbs, Sarah Tomley, and Marcus Weeks. 2015. The Sociology Book: Big Ideas Simply Explained. London: Dorling Kindersley.
Wikipedia contributors. (N.d.) Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Wikimedia Foundation. (https://en.wikipedia.org/).
Wiley. (N.d.) Wiley Online Library. (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/).
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “State autonomy.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved October 22, 2021 (https://sociologydictionary.org/state-autonomy/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
State autonomy. (2013). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/state-autonomy/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2013. “State autonomy.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed October 22, 2021. https://sociologydictionary.org/state-autonomy/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“State autonomy.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2013. Web. 22 Oct. 2021. <https://sociologydictionary.org/state-autonomy/>.