Definition of Sororate Marriage
Sororate Marriage Pronunciation
Syllabification: so·ror·ate mar·riage
- American English – /suhr-rOR-uht mAIR-ij/
- British English – /suh-rOr-it mAr-ij/
International Phonetic Alphabet
- American English: /sɚˈɹɔrət ˈmɛrɪdʒ/
- British English: /səˈɹɒɹɪt ˈmæɹɪdʒ/
- Plural: sororate marriages
- A type of marriage.
- Sororate marriage is the opposite of levirate marriage.
- Also called sororate.
- Family and Kinship Resources – Books, Journals, and Helpful Links
- Word origin of “sororate” and “marriage” – Online Etymology Dictionary: etymonline.com
ASA – American Sociological Association (5th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “sororate marriage.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Retrieved October 23, 2020 (https://sociologydictionary.org/sororate-marriage/).
APA – American Psychological Association (6th edition)
sororate marriage. (2014). In K. Bell (Ed.), Open education sociology dictionary. Retrieved from https://sociologydictionary.org/sororate-marriage/
Chicago/Turabian: Author-Date – Chicago Manual of Style (16th edition)
Bell, Kenton, ed. 2014. “sororate marriage.” In Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Accessed October 23, 2020. https://sociologydictionary.org/sororate-marriage/.
MLA – Modern Language Association (7th edition)
“sororate marriage.” Open Education Sociology Dictionary. Ed. Kenton Bell. 2014. Web. 23 Oct. 2020. <https://sociologydictionary.org/sororate-marriage/>.